Most of the articles that you read about taking children to flea markets say not to do it because you won’t see all of the good finds.
I’m here to say that the articles are wrong!!
Today, I’m going to give you 7 reasons why you should take your child to the flea market.
- Discounts: Taking your children to the flea markets and thrift stores teaches them the power of a discount. They have an allowance to spend and they are so excited when they find out that they can buy more when they buy used.
- History Lessons: Children will actually have fun learning the history of an item and using their imagination about the kind of person that might have owned it before.
- Reuse and recycle: Children can find an item of their very own and discover new ways to display it in their room. This will show them that not all things should be thrown in the trash. It can be repurposed into something even better.
- Negotiation: Of course, negotiation is a great skill to have as an adult when negotiating the price of a house, car, or anything. Have fun with it and let them take control of the negotiations when they find something they want. You’ll be surprised how much they learn from watching the adults.
- Become detectives: Children build great research skills when they find old items and they look them up on the internet or in a library to determine just how old it is.
- Pick up a new hobby: Our 12 year old son does not like to go with us to flea markets unless he can look for old daggers or pocket knives to add to his collection. He puts them in the safe until we can build a shadow box to display them.
- Have fun together: So much of the time, families are stuck in the house watching TV. Why not have fun while walking through a flea market and learning and finding interesting things together?
The above reasons are perfect for older children but I also feel that a toddler will also benefit from flea markets and thrift stores too!!
I know, you probably think we’re crazy for taking a toddler to a flea market.
But they enjoy it too. 😊
We recently took our two year old grandson to flea markets and he absolutely loved every minute of it.
He took us through all the aisles and was amazed at everything he saw.
Our grandson also kept asking what everything was.
He loved looking up at all of the treasures that were hanging from the ceiling.
So don’t be afraid to take your kids to flea markets or thrift stores.
You might not find everything you are looking for when you have the kids.
But think of the fun that your family will have with the thrill of the hunt!!
You never know, they may beg to go with you next time!
Join a free community of people that love to go to flea markets just as much as we do!!